A silver amalgam filling is a dental filling material used to fill cavities that are affected by decay, cracks, fractures, etc. The silver filling which repairs the decayed or affected portion of the tooth has been used for more than 150 years.
What is the Amalgam Filling process?
- The dentist first drills the tooth to remove the decay
- Next, the dentist shapes the tooth cavity for placement of the amalgam filling
- Afterwards, a softened amalgam putty is placed in the prepared cavity
- The amalgam putty swiftly hardens into a solid filling
What are the Benefits of Amalgam Fillings?
- Amalgam fillings are durable and long-lasting
- Less likely to break, compared to other types of fillings
- Amalgam is the least costly type of filling material
Most common uses for Amalgam Fillings
- Cracked or damaged teeth
- Decayed teeth
- Worn teeth