Are Braces Painful?
It typically takes about 1-2 hours to put braces on. Although the process may not be fun, it is not known to be a painful procedure.
After cleaning and drying your teeth, the dentist will apply special glue. This distasteful glue is safe and will help hold the brackets on. Lastly, the dentist will place archwires on the brackets and attach elastic bands.
Although the procedure is not painful, you will be expected to feel soreness in your teeth and gums afterwards.
How can I relieve the pain and discomfort of braces?
- Treat yourself with soft food, such as mashed potatoes, soup, pudding, hummus, cottage cheese ad scrambled eggs.
- Responsibly take over-the-counter pain relievers, such as ibuprofen or aspirin.
- Orthodontic wax can also be useful when you feel discomfort. Simply apply it to the brackets using your finger.
- Avoid acidic beverages, such as soda, orange or tomato juice.
Patience is key.
- You will most likely get used to your braces within a month.
- Most patients do not notice their braces after half a year.
Did you know?
- Braces are not magnetic.
- Egyptians founded braces.
- The first braces were made of gold.