An onlay restoration is a custom made filling created by a professional dental laboratory. It is made of composite material, gold, or tooth-colored porcelain and is permanently cemented into the tooth.
An onlay restoration is a common fix for broken or fractured teeth, decayed teeth, or fractured and large fillings.
What is the process of getting an Onlay?
- Several highly accurate molds are taken
- A custom Onlay and temporary restoration is created
- Decay and/or old filling materials are removed
- A temporary filling will be applied to protect the tooth
- After the Onlay is made by a dental laboratory, it is cemented into place
Why Dental Onlays?
Because they are typically made from durable, tooth-colored porcelain, dental Onlays provide much more persistent and natural-looking outcomes than metal fillings.